Start a Scouting Unit
Start a Scout Unit By Becoming a Chartering Organization!
Community-based organizations receive national charters to use the Scouting program as a part of their own youth work. These groups, which have goals compatible with those of the BSA, include religious, educational, community associations, and citizens’ groups. If you are interested in starting a unit, contact us at 757- 497-2688 or at 1-(877)-232-7268 or email us at email@example.com
By receiving a charter from the Boy Scouts of America, the chartered organization agrees to
- Conduct Scouting in accordance with its own policies and guidelines as well as those of the BSA.
- Include Scouting as part of its overall program for youth and families.
- Appoint a chartered organization representative who is a member of the organization and will represent it to the Scouting district and council, serving as a voting member of each.
- Select a unit committee of parents and members of the organization who will screen and select unit leaders who meet the organization’s leadership standards as well as the BSA’s standards.
- Provide adequate and secure facilities for Scouting units to meet on a regular schedule with time and place reserved.
- Encourage the units to participate in outdoor experiences.
More information on the chartering organization is available at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/32196.pdf